Saturday, November 13, 2010

Top 5: Northwest Weather Must-Haves

 I'm always under-prepared for the rainy, chilly, windy, miserable (at times) weather in Eugene. I hear it all the time from my mother, "Lauren, why don't you have a waterproof jacket?  Why don't you have anything to wear?  Where's that ski jacket we bought you four years ago?"  Truth is, Mom, it's painful for me to cover up my carefully selected ensemble with an article of clothing people should only see on the bunny slopes.  Believe it or not, there are ways to stay warm and dry while maintaining a fashionable presence.  Here are my top 5 essentials for Eugene winter weather:
Classic Trench-American Eagle

Statement Rain Boots-Hunter
Cozy Scarf-Banana Republic

Fingerless Gloves-Diane Von Furstenberg

Knit Hat- Eugenia



1. Trench
-A classic trench is a great investment for the Northwest.  As an item that literally never goes out of style, this jacket will become a go-to for years to come.  Paired with a warm sweater, it's perfect for those drizzly, dreary days that make you want to crawl right back into bed. And for the days that straight-up rain?  Grab a stylish umbrella (as seen here) to complement it.


2. Rainboots
-When rain starts flooding the streets, there really is no other option.  Luckily, there are thousands of adorable styles to fit any personality, mood, and budget.  A favorite, of course, are Hunter rain boots, but Target also offers many varieties online for a more affordable option.

3. Scarves
-One of my favorite accessories.  I love the versatility of scarves, especially in the winter; they're warm and cozy and can make or break an outfit.  Infinity or circle scarves are popular this year for the layering effect, so take advantage and stock up!  You can find my favs at Banana Republic and B.P. at Nordstrom.


4.Gloves
-I never remember these before leaving the house, and it's obvious when I get to class and my hands are white in color and completely numb.  One of the most annoying things about gloves is the inability to actually use your hands when wearing them (what a concept).  This year, however, fingerless gloves are in demand...thank gawd.


5. Hats
-Weather can have all kinds of effects on hair--and we all know that a bad hair day can do wonders for one's mood.  Some days just call for a hat and there's no shame in that; there are many fashionable options to hide a bad hair day, or an anticipated bad hair day.  Try Asos.com , it's by far my favorite place to shop for winter accessories.

-L.

image of puddles via google

No comments:

Post a Comment